It’s My One Year Cancer Free Anniversary!

cancer free 1

Thanks to my cousin and fellow survivor, Jeanne, for the shirt!

Anniversaries are good.  They cause us to reflect.  In my case, it overwhelms me a bit to go back and think about where I have been.  It also strengthens me to think about where I have been, knowing that I have made it another year.  I am what they call a survivor!

I was reading what I wrote over a year ago when I sat down to write my blog tonight.  It reminded me how I was struggling with anger knowing that I had been diagnosed with breast cancer.  As I was whining one day about my circumstances, a man who works at my publishing company called.  He was asking me about my upcoming speaking and writing schedule, when I told him I just didn’t know what tomorrow held.  The things I have on the calendar today may all look differently after I figure out what this disease is going to do to me.  He told me, “I think I should tell you, I am cancer free for 10 years this month!” Then he went on to say, “I was angry for about fifteen minutes and then I decided to fight, never looking back.”  What great wisdom there was in his words.  They were exactly the words I needed to hear.  I believe God sent him to me that day.

Isaiah 41:10 Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.

I was also able to see my fears in my writings. As I was waiting for my diagnosis, I penned these words… So tonight in the darkness I fight the enemy.  I say, “Get you behind me Satan!”  I am a child of the King…a princess in His eyes and He will take care of me in the days ahead.  I do not need to fear or panic about what tomorrow might bring.  For when the sun arises, once again I get another day.  That was on a good day.  When I couldn’t be strong, He always seemed to intervene through my circumstances or through others.  I thank God for His strength when I was weak.

Psalm 94:18-19 (NIV)  When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your unfailing love, Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.

I am thankful that the worst appears to be over.  It’s been a hard year and has cramped my style in a lot of ways.  However, it’s moments like the phone call I received from my publisher that I knew God was there.  In fact, He had appointed an army of warriors to pray for me, call me, encourage me, send me cards and notes, and offer their help in many ways.  There were several times that He made Himself evident in my situation and comforted me through others.  It is a wonderful thing to serve a God that meets us where we are.  I will be forever grateful for those who joined the fight with me by answering His call.

Many of you that I don’t even know in person, left encouraging comments, sent private messages and even sent cards.  Even though I was stubborn and didn’t allow friends to go to my appointments and tests with me, they offered.  For that, I am also thankful.  I appreciated those who sent texts and scriptures at just the right time, made phone calls, or invited me out to lunch to get my mind off of my circumstances.  You are angels in disguise.

My last day of radiation with two of the best radiation therapists around!  Bless you Holly and Jenny!

My last day of radiation with two of the best radiation therapists around! Bless you Holly and Jenny!

For those caretakers who took the time to ease my fears and give me a hug when I needed one…you were a true blessing from God.  And, Jim.  You stood by me and put up with me through it all.  What a wonderful man God gave me in him.  I love you, sweetheart!

To my friends who are currently in the battle of disease, my prayers are with you. I am humbled by how gracefully some of you are going through it. For you…I offer my testimony that even when life gets very difficult and you think the struggle will never end…God is Good.  Cling to Him.  Call out to Him.  Let Him show you His stuff.

You don’t have to do it alone.

He is faithful.

I love this video as it shows people helping other people through the battle.  Perhaps you know someone that has been recently diagnosed or is going through treatments.  Pray and ask God how you might be able to join them in His army to encourage and assist them in battle!  Click here and be inspired!

1. Krista
    Feb 01, 2014 @ 08:36:33

Congratulations Lori! Thanks for sharing : )

2. glenda Kremer
    Feb 01, 2014 @ 11:44:55

not sure why I no longer get your blog–what do I need to do?
    love Glenda

3. glenda Kremer
    Feb 01, 2014 @ 21:45:50

I’m not sure why I have not been getting your blog as I wrote last night I think but I checked to get by emmail so hopefully I am back in now. I love this post and that you are cancer free–
    love
    Glenda K

4. Surrounded by the Spirit
    Feb 02, 2014 @ 11:20:55

Hi Lori! I love your smile, both in your last treatment pic and your “Superwoman’ tee shirt. You just glow. I’m so happy for you, and join in your prayers to the Lord for his goodness. You go girl!!
    Happy Sunday 🙂
    Ceil

Feb 02, 2014 @ 15:24:16

Thanks, Ceil! You’re so kind. I appreciate everyone’s prayers for sure! I don a superwoman shirt but know that is by the grace of God I have found healing!

5. Cecelia Lester
    Feb 03, 2014 @ 17:35:50

I am thrilled to hear you have made it one year being Cancer-free.Praise the Lord.